The structural fabric of the town hall dates back to 1560 and was changed after the city had been elevated to a royal free-trade zone in 1648.
The architectural basis is thought to go back to early renaissance. The diamond-shaped ashlar of the portal points to this era, too.
The one-storey building with a broad front featuring two round oriels on the sides and a rectangular oriel in the centre has been refurbished during the baroque; a massive attic has been built on top of it during the same period.
The murals discovered in 1926 probably also go back to the early renaissance period and have been adapted to fit the baroque tastes later on.
In 1949 Rudolf Holzinger repainted them by closely sticking to old patterns. He also completed the missing pictures.
The allegorical paintings of women represent the cardinal virtues Fides (faith), Spes (hope), Charitas (charity), as well as Justitia (justice), Sapientia (wisdom), Fortitudo (strength) and Temperantia (moderation).
To the right of the centre oriel there are biblical scenes:
Solomon's judgement (allegory of judicial wisdom)
Judith and Holofernes (allegory of love to one's birthplace)
Solomon and the Queen of Sheba (renunciation of dignity for the sake of wisdom and cognition).
The rectangular oriel holds a sundial and the coat of arms of the city of Eisenstadt.
The interior of the town hall has been rebuilt several times, e.g. in 1939/40 and 1959.
The magnificent renaissance ceiling of the vestibule dates back to the 17th century.
Over the course of the rebuilding of the town hall (1999-2001) the buildings dating back to the 1950s were torn down and replaced by a suitable, modern building. The historic substance was renovated and integrated into the modern complex.